Suzy Kelly, CEO
Susan H. (Suzy) Kelly is the Chief Executive Officer of Jo-Kell. Kelly began her career at Jo-Kell in 1978. Under the leadership of Joseph Kelly, the founder of Jo-Kell, Kelly served as Corporate Treasurer, Corporate Secretary, and Executive Vice President. After the retirement of Joe Kelly, Suzy Kelly assumed the title of CEO in 2002. Along with her husband, Marty, the two continue to lead this growing small business.
- Appointed to Governor McDonnell’s Task Force on State Mandates on Localities, 2011
- Elected to Chesapeake City Council, May 4, 2010
- Appointed to Governor’s Commission on Government Reform and Restructuring, May, 2010
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Board Member and Executive Board Member
- Chesapeake Virginia Wine Festival, Wine Store Chair
- St. Mary’s Home for Disabled Children, Embrace Campaign Cabinet
- SunTrust Bank, Board of Advisors
- Chesapeake Jubilee Chair, 2010
- Old Dominion University School of Business, Executive Advisory Council
- Catholic Passion Ministries, Co-Founder
- Norfolk Collegiate School, Board Member
- Rotary Club of Greenbrier
- ACIBC (Aircraft Carrier Industrial Base Coalition), Regional Vice-Chair
- Political Organization, Chesapeake GOP; Vice Chair
- Chesapeake Police Department, Advisory Board Member
- Lead Hampton Roads, Division Chair and Member of the Board of Trustees
- National Founding Partner WIPP (Women Impacting Public Policy)
- Chesapeake Health Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Friends of Chesapeake Animal Services, Board Member
Personal Awards and Recognition:
- The Power List: Inside Business’s 75 Most Powerful People in Hampton Roads
- Julian F. Hirst” Leadership Award, Leadership Hampton Roads (awarded to individuals for their distinguished service to their community)
- Athena Award: Nationally recognized award for community commitment.
- Women in Business Achievement Award, Inside Business
- Minerva Award, Small Business Insight Magazine
- Women of Distinction Award in Business, YWCA
- Outstanding Entrepreneur Award, Old Dominion University
- Martin Luther King Leadership Award
- Chesapeake Police Chief’s Award of Recognition
- Points of Light” Appreciation Award, Camelot Civic League
- Interview in Marine Log magazine
- Community Service Award, NAWBO (National Association of Women Business Owners)
- Honorary Tailhook member: USS Enterprise
- Graduate Chesapeake Citizen’s Police Academy
Corporate Awards and Recognitions:
- Northrop Grumman Corp, Supplier of the Year Award
- VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads, Corporate Volunteer Excellence Award
- Hampton Roads Crime Line, Top Corporation Award
- Chesapeake Small Business of the Year
- Empowering Your Workplace to Prepare”, Healthcare Organizations Emergency Preparedness Seminars, “HOEPS”
- Capitalism at a Crossroads”, Virginia Chamber of Commerce , Conference on Virginia’s Future
- From Racial Division to Reconciliation: The American Journey”
- Christian Principles and Racial Progress and How it Relates to the Upcoming Election”
- Is America Ready for a Black President?” Hampton Roads Committee of 200+ Men, Inc.
- Roles & Responsibilities of Non-Profit Board Members,” Junior League
- Taking Care of Business”
- Organizational Survival Workshop for Pandemic Flu”
- Virginia Beach Department of Health, Disaster Preparedness Presentation
- Smithfield School Administration, Disaster Preparedness Presentation
- Food Bank of South Hampton Roads: Annually participates with donations of thousands of pounds of food. The Jo-Kell team consistently contributes nearly 5000 pounds of food yearly to the food bank. This effort has been ongoing since 2004.
- St. Mary’s Home for Disabled Children: Since 2005, Jo-Kell has supported St. Mary’s with an annual funding raising effort with donations totaling between $6000 and $8000 annually.
- Chesapeake Public Safety Dept.: Since 2005, the Jo-Kell team supports our public safety personnel by supplying their meals during the entire weekend of the Chesapeake Jubilee.
- Other efforts supported by Jo-Kell: Stand Up for Kids, Make-A-Wish Foundation, American Red Cross, Dwelling Place, March of Dimes, U.S. Military stationed in Iraq, Ronald McDonald House, Animal Rescue of Tidewater, Friends of Chesapeake Animal Services, Toys for Tots, Salvation Army, Susan G. Komen Foundation, Purple Heart Association, Operation Christmas Child, Union Mission, Unicef, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Candii House, Freedom for Soldiers, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
Marty Kelly, President
Marty Kelly, President of Jo-Kell, began his career at the company in 1978. Prior to his move to Jo-Kell, Marty was a licensed boat captain for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, surveying the channels of Hampton Roads for seven years.
Leading the sales team since the early years of Jo-Kell, Marty has developed the sales team into a world-class operation. Under his leadership, product and market development has grown substantially since the company’s inception. In addition, he continues to advance the vision and direction of Jo-Kell.
Strategically, Marty has undertaken the leadership of the vendor and customer relations at Jo-Kell. As such, he meets with industry and company leaders to present and discuss Jo-Kell vision while seeking strategic partnerships, and products and services capabilities expansion. Marty is also heavily involved with the M&A efforts of Jo-Kell.
An avid reader, Marty stays abreast of trends in sales, management, and industry-specific market forces. He has a tremendous insight into the marine and industrial marketplace, which he puts into practice daily when advising the different teams at Jo-Kell.
As a community leader, Marty devotes much of his time to coaching high school girl’s basketball teams. Over the years, he has coached young women in achieving personal goals through individual and team athletic skill development. Marty’s inspirational style of coaching has made a difference in the lives of many whom he has coached.
Marty has been married to Suzy Kelly since 1978. They have four children and two grandchildren. In addition to his business and community activities, Marty is an accomplished “chef,” keeping his family and friends well-nourished over the years.
John Kelly, Chief Corporate Officer